Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Fun with Dr. Seuss

We have been working on some fun Dr. Seuss themed activities this week.  We started out the week by  creating Cat in the Hat from paper plates. Then we added rhyming words to the hats.  Super cute!














We also made these adorable Thing 1 and Thing 2 handprints inspired from Mel D. Check out her blog {here}. She also has a really cute Lorax activity on her blog for free!

We have been working on using powerful verbs to spice up our writing. I taught the students to write a 3 action sentence to go with the Thing 1 and Thing 2 project. What is a 3 action sentence you ask? It is a sentence that follows this pattern: noun, action phrase, action phrase, and action phrase. For example, Mrs. Sousa hopped out of bed, gulped down her coffee, and drove to work. I teach them these in isolation first and then, hopefully, they will include them in their every day story writing to vary sentence structure.

I created a rough draft framed writing to help the students with their 3 action pattern sentences. Click the image to download a copy.





Thing 1 came to my bedroom. He jumped on my bed, spilled water on the floor, and broke my fan. What a mess!


Thing 1 came to my kitchen. He destroyed the glass, threw all my pans out, and jumped on my table. He is a little rascal.



Thing 2 came to my backyard. She yanked my dog's tail, made all the palm trees collapse, and leaped on my glass table. She was a little mean devil.

6 comments:

Lyndsey (A Year of Many Firsts) said...

How adorable! LOVE their writing. Thanks for sharing! :)

Lyndsey
A Year of Many Firsts

Eric VanRaepenbusch said...

I love your Thing 1 and Thing 2s! From the sounds of it though, I shouldn't love them -- they have been up to some horrible things :)

I would like to invite you to share a link to this post on my blog, Happy Birthday Author, to help us celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday!

Here is link to the linky: http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html

Delighted said...

Very cute stuff! I just came across your blog. Loving it & I'm now your newest follower.

First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

vicky1970 said...

HI Shannon- those are all so cute. I love Dr. Seuss Day :o)
Vicky

Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

Unknown said...

Love the Thing 1 and Thing 2 writing samples!
Just found your blog and am now your newest follower. =)
Bobbie
http://thedailycupcake-akindergartenblog.blogspot.com/

رضا ويب said...


شركة تنظيف بمحايل عسير
شركة تنظيف خزانات بمحايل عسير
شركة مكافحة حشرات بمحايل عسير

Post a Comment